This is an awesome recipe I tried out that uses a popular fall ingredient to make something delicious.
Pumpkin Pie Cinnamon Buns with Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
(makes 12 rolls)
1 batch pumpkin sweet yeast dough (see below)
1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/2 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 cup dried cranberries
1/4 cup candied ginger (chopped or pecans)
1 batch caramel cream cheese frosting (see below)
1. Punch down the dough and knead for 30 seconds.
2. Cover the dough and let it rest for 10 minutes.
3. Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a 24″ by 12″ rectangle.
4. Spread the butter over othe dough leaving 1 inch on each side free.
5. Mix the sugar and spices and sprinkle it onto the dough followed by the cranberries and ginger.
6. Roll the dough into a log, pinch to seal and cut it into 12 even slices.
7. Arrange the buns in a greased baking pan, cover in plastic wrap and let rise until doubled in size, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
8. Bake in a 375F preheated oven until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes.
9. Top the buns with the frosting and enjoy.
Pumpkin Sweet Yeast Dough
(makes 1 batch)
1/4 cup water (warm)
1 tablespoon active dry yeast
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs (room temperature)
1/4 cup butter (melted and cooled)
1/4 cup sour cream (room temperature)
1 cup pumpkin puree (room temperature)
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1. Mix the water, yeast and sugar into a large bowl and let it sit until foamy, about 10 minutes.
2. Add the sugar, eggs, butter, sour cream, pumpkin puree, spices, salt and 2 cups of the mixed flour and mix for 2 minutes at medium or 200 strokes by hand.
3. Stir in enough of the remaining mixed flour to make a soft dough.
4. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead the dough until smooth, about 5 minutes. (The dough should feel soft and buttery and not sticky.)
5. Place the dough in a greased the bowl, cover with a damp towel and let the dough rise until it has doubled in size, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Caramel Cream Cheese Frosting
(makes 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup caramel sauce (room temperature)
1/4 cup cream cheese (room temperature)
1. Mix the caramel sauce and cream cheese until smooth.